The Military Zone Portal
Military Loans
Resources
Benefits
Military News
Finances
Shopping
Travel
Military Bases
Information
Site Map




New!
Furniture Financing
Click Here!



Get Your Free
Private Webmail
Account Now!
Click Here


Visit Our
Military Gear Store!

military gear

 

We proudly offer Pioneer Military Loans

Eglin AFB - Fort Walton Beach, FL

For more than sixty-five years and spanning six wars, Eglin has played a prominent role in airpower history. In 1931, personnel of the Army Air Corps Tactical School (Maxwell Field, Alabama) looking for a site for a bombing and gunnery range, saw the potential of the sparsely populated forested areas surrounding Valparaiso, Florida, and the vast expanse of the adjacent Gulf of Mexico. 

A local businessman and airplane buff, James E. Plew, saw the potential of a military payroll to boost the depression-stricken economy in the local area. He leased to the City of Valparaiso 137 acres on which an airport was established in 1933, and in 1934, Plew offered the U.S. government a donation of 1,460 contiguous acres for the bombing and gunnery base. This leasehold became the headquarters for the Valparaiso Bombing and Gunnery Base activated on 14 June 1935 under the command of Captain Arnold H. Rich. On 4 August 1937, the base was redesignated Eglin Field in honor of Lieutenant Colonel Frederick I. Eglin, U.S. Air Corps, killed on 1 January 1937 in an aircraft crash.

With the outbreak of war in Europe in 1939 and President Roosevelt's call for an expansion of the Army Air Corps, General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold ordered the establishment of a proving ground for aircraft armament. Eglin was selected for the testing mission, and on 27 June 1940, the U.S. Forestry Service ceded to the War Department the Choctawhatchee National Forest, consisting of some 384,000 acres. In 1941, the Air Corps Proving Ground was activated, and Eglin became the site for gunnery training for Army Air Forces fighter pilots, as well as a major testing center for aircraft, equipment, and tactics. In March 1942, the base served as one of the sites for Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Doolittle to prepare his B-25 crews for their raid against Tokyo.

In addition to testing all new aircraft and their serial modifications, the Proving Ground Command, established at Eglin April 1942, found the isolation and immensity of the ranges especially well-suited for special tasks. For example, in 1944, personnel developed the tactics and techniques to destroy German missile installations being built to support V-1 buzz-bomb attacks on England.

By the end of the war, Eglin had made a recognizable contribution to the effectiveness of the American air operations in Europe and the Pacific and continued to maintain a role in the research, development, and testing of air armament. Eglin also became a pioneer in missile development when, in early 1946, the First Experimental Guided Missiles Group was activated to develop the techniques for missile launching and handling; establish training programs; and monitor the development of a drone or pilotless aircraft capability to support the Atomic Energy Commission tests, Operation CROSSROADS, at Eniwetok. On 13 January 1947, the Guided Missiles Group received nationwide publicity by conducting a successful drone flight from Eglin to Washington, D.C., in a simulated bombing mission.

Both as a reaction to the Soviet atomic explosion in 1949 and in recognition that research and development had lagged in the years of lower priority to operational concerns, the Air Force, in early 1950, established the Air Research and Development Command (later Air Force Systems Command). The following year, the Air Research and Development Command established the Air Force Armament Center at Eglin, which, for the first time, brought development and testing together. After the start of the Korean War in 1950, test teams moved to the combat theater for testing in actual combat. They numbered among their accomplishments improved air-to-air tactics and improved techniques for close air support. On 1 December 1957, the Air Force combined the Air Proving Ground Command and the Air Force Armament Center to form the Air Proving Ground Center.

The Center built the highly-instrumented Eglin Gulf Test Range and for the next few years, served as a major missile test center for weapons such as the BOMARC, Matador, GAM-72 "Quail," and GAM-77 "Hound Dog."

As the Southeast Asia conflict increased emphasis on conventional weapons, the responsibilities at Eglin grew. On 1 August 1968, the Air Proving Ground Center was redesignated the Armament Development and Test Center to centralize responsibility for research, development, test and evaluation, and initial acquisition of nonnuclear munitions for the Air Force. On 1 October 1979, the Center was given division status. The Armament Division, redesignated Munitions Systems Division on 15 March 1989, placed into production the precision-guided munitions for the laser, television, and infrared guided bombs; two anti-armor weapon systems; and an improved hard target weapon used in Operation DESERT STORM during the Persian Gulf War. The Division was also responsible for developing the Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM), an Air Force-led joint project with the U.S. Navy.

In addition to its development and testing mission, Eglin also served as the training site for the Son Tay Raiders in 1970, the group that made the daring attempt to rescue American POWs from a North Vietnamese prison camp. In 1975, the installation served as one of four main U.S. Vietnamese Refugee Processing Centers, where base personnel housed and processed more than 10,000 Southeast Asian refugees at the Auxiliary Field Two "Tent City." Eglin again became an Air Force refugee resettlement center processing over 10,000 Cubans who fled to the U.S. between April and May of 1980.

On 11 July 1990, the Munitions Systems Division was redesignated the Air Force Development Test Center. During the 1990s, the Center supported test and evaluation for the development of nonnuclear Air Force armament including next generation precision-guided weapons; operational training for armament systems; and test and evaluation of command, control, communications, computers, and intelligence (C4I) aerospace navigation and guidance systems.

As part of the Air Forces' strategic plan to guide the service into the 21st Century, on 1 October 1998, the Air Force Development Test Center became the Air Force Materiel Command's center for air armament. As one of AFMC's product centers, AFDTC was renamed the Air Armament Center (AAC). The Center is responsible for development, acquisition, testing, deployment, and sustainment of all air-delivered weapons. The AAC applies advanced technology, engineering, and programming efficiencies across the entire product life cycle to provide superior combat capability. The Center plans, directs, and conducts test and evaluation of U.S. and allied air armament, navigation/guidance systems, and command and control (C 2) systems. It operates two Air Force installations, providing host support to Eglin and Kirtland AFBs, and supports the largest single base mobility commitment in the Air Force. AAC accomplishes its mission through four components: The Armament Product Directorate (Eglin), 46th Test Wing (Eglin), 96th Air Base Wing (Eglin), and 377th Air Base Wing (Kirtland).

In 1999, precision-guided munitions proved their effectiveness in Operation ALLIED FORCE. During the 78-day air operation, precision munitions destroyed numerous targets with unparalleled accuracy, resulting in minimum collateral damage, and no U.S. casualties of war.
 
Main phone numbers:  Commercial (850)882-1110 or DSN 872-1110
 
Mailing address:  Eglin AFB, FL 32542
 
Population:   8,249 active duty; 1,321 reservists; 21,500 family members; 5,180 civilians
 
Housing:  243 officer family units; 2,033 enlisted family units; 226 mobile home spaces; 324 unaccompanied personnel units (850)882-3502
 
Temporary lodging:   90 temporary lodging units (850)882-4534; campground (850)882-5058
 
Family Support Center:   (580)882-9060
 
Schools:  Two elementary schools on base run by Okaloosa County School District 
 
Child Care:   Center for 327, eight-month wait; 85 approved homes (850)882-3861
 
Health care:   85-bed hospital.  Appointments (850)883-8600; benefits (850)883-8246; Tricare (800)333-5331
 
Eglin AFB - Fort Walton Beach, FL has a large size commissary - (850)882-3172, a large exchange, a mall, and two shoppettes (850)651-2512.  Recreation at Eglin AFB - Fort Walton Beach, FL includes arts and crafts, bowling, library, auto hobby, recreation center, theater, golf, gym, tennis, swimming, outdoor activities, and camping.  
 
Internet:   www.eglin.af.mil/ 

 
 

 

 

 

TheMiltaryZone.com-Your source for military loans
We proudly offer Pioneer Military Loans