Naval Hospital, Beaufort was opened in 1949 on 127 acres of land. Historically, the site was formerly the John Joiner Smith Plantation which included Camp Saxton, a Civil War Garrison and Fort Frederick, both recognized as National Historical sites. The earliest federally authorized black unit to fight for the Union, the First South Carolina Volunteers, was camped at this site. On January 1, 1863, General Rufus Saxton assembled a large populace for one of the earliest readings of the Emancipation Proclamation. An annual reenactment of the reading is held at the Camp Saxton site, along with a Civil War encampment both of which are enjoyed by members of our staff and the local community.
Fort Frederick was built by the English in 1735 to protect Beaufort from the Native Americans in the area and the Spaniards to the south. Today, the remains of its walls stand within the Naval Hospital compound as a duly designated historical monument. During the Civil War, the site became a Garrison named Camp Shaw. The present hospital replaced the Naval Hospital, Parris Island which was open from 1891 through 1 May 1949. Naval Hospital, Beaufort was commissioned on 29 April 1949, and the first patient was admitted on 5 May 1949.
Naval Hospital, Beaufort consists of the hospital and two Branch Medical Clinics - one at Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD), Parris Island and the other at Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS), Beaufort.
Naval Hospital, Beaufort is one of the few military facilities which is a complete military compound in itself, rather than a tenant of a larger command. Located within the grounds of the Naval Hospital, Beaufort are 53 family housing single-story units, two Bachelor Enlisted Quarters, able to accommodate 190 residents, a Navy Exchange Retail store, Gas Station and Mini Mart with package store. This command also has its own complete Public Works facility. Recreational facilities include two softball fields, swimming pool, lighted tennis and basketball courts, outdoor fitness course, a gym, fishing pier and a children's play ground.
Naval Hospital, Beaufort provides general medical, surgical, and emergency services to all Active Duty Navy and Marine Corps personnel, as well as Retired military personnel and all military dependents residing in the Beaufort area, a total population of approximately 35,000 beneficiaries.
phone numbers: Commercial (843)228-5600 or